Saturday, April 2, 2016

Light at the end of the tunnel.

That's right, folks.  My main man is graduating with his Masters of Architecture in May.  For all the whining I have done about how little our family has seen him, closing this chapter in our lives is going to be one of the hardest things we have ever done.  Lawrence has been more a home to both Josh and I than anywhere we have lived.  Most of the families within our church ward also live far from family, and because of that, there is a deep spirit of unity among them.  I've clung to their friendships during the some  of my darkest days; the ladies in this ward have been my surrogate sisters, mothers and grandmothers to my children.  That said, we will bloom where we are planted;)

Josh and I had absolutely no expectation of moving back to Utah.  Not that we didn't want to be closer to extended family, but Josh's work connections and associations have all been within the Kansas City metro area.  We were close to certain that even with applying for companies in the Salt Lake valley, they would not hire some Joe who had no previous affiliation with the U of U program.

SO Josh interviewed.  And interviewed.  Since February, he has had 8 interviews and 2 more that he is going to cancel, all while continuing his internship at PULSE Design.  We were offered a financially promising spot at nation wide firm in St. Louis that designs primarily airport and factory facilities.  They were going to pay for all expenses incurred with the 4 hour move.

Then Josh had a call from a small company called AJC Architects, in Salt Lake.  They skyped.  And then soon thereafter called with an offer.  It is not quite as lucrative.  BUT the benefits are amazing, and the work they do is varied and based on the opinion of their employees.  This means they design everything from libraries to visitors centers at national parks, to higher education buildings.  ALSO, instead of spending every extra penny on trips back to Utah, we will already be there!

We had a huge decision to make, and after taking it to the One who knows better than us what we need most, we are taking a leap of faith and moving to the Salt Lake valley soon after graduation.  For those of you in Utah, I can't wait to see you.  For those of you here in Lawrence, I can't tell you how desperately I wish there was a way to take everyone I love and pocket them.    

Pictures and updates pending...

3 comments:

  1. You deserve this and so much more. Congratulations to you and Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you found your answer. But I would be lying if I said I didn't actually shed a few tears. Gah hormones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you joking with me right now?! Can this really be true?!! I don't believe I am reading this correctly! I'm only a math neard so I feel like I might be... Please don't tell me you are playing a prank! Where do you think you'll be living in the valley?!

    ReplyDelete