Friday, November 4, 2016

3 A.M. Escapades


You see that kid with the wild bed hair and the crazed look of a sleep deprived, overtired 4-year-old?  This is my son.  He and my daughter are my sunshines, and I love them very much.  But sometimes I wonder if my kids leave me sleep deprived just so they can take advantage of my delirium.  I am fairly certain that there was a family meeting held consisting of my 4-year-old, my 3-year-old, and the unborn little girl I am carrying.  Though I am not certain how this meeting took place, I am certain that it involved my son manipulating the youngest one into keeping me from sleeping until all hours, and waking me up to pee without the respite of being able to fall back asleep.

Needless to say, the last few days have left me drained and zombie like.  This is a good refresher training for newborn parenting, but makes for awful judgement calls.

At 3 a.m. yesterday morning, I woke to light streaming through our half way open bedroom door.  Upon investigation, I found my son.  Surrounded by coloring pages and some crayons, he was laying sprawled on the carpet, furiously scribbling the face of a character red.  It would have crossed my mind to call the instance a dream and go back to bed, except that my son asked, "What are you going to do with me today, mama?"  I hate that daily question because it suggests that I am obligated to keep this kid entertained and wound up like a battery operated toy.  I wouldn't dream that question.

I responded by asking WHY he was awake.  This was followed by a shrug and, "I didn't want to sleep anymore." And then a repetition of that irritating question.  

It's times like this when I realize the vast difference between my kids and myself.  Who doesn't want to sleep anymore?!  You know that story of Rip Van Winkle, the guy who slept for 100 years?  Since becoming a mother, I have been insanely jealous of him.  And if there were a black market for exchanging body parts for 100 years of pure sleep, you can bet I would be on that deal with a kidney in tow.

"I am going to put you back in bed.  It is not today yet and it's too early to be doing anything besides sleeping."  I tucked the kid back in bed and then did the big-bellied ritual of trying to get comfy so I could get some shut eye.  Fifteen minutes later I was half asleep when I was awakened to my son crawling into bed with me.  

"Mama."

"What?!"

"I need you to open these."     

At this point, things are a little hazy.  But this morning I woke up to find Hershey wrappers in our bed and a boy passed out and drooling between my husband and I.  He had chocolate on his face and judging from the sticky aftertaste in my mouth, he hadn't been the only one to partake.  (So much for letting him "just sleep" with his Halloween booty next to him.)  

I let myself feel guilty for about 10 seconds.  Then I reminded myself that at 3 a.m. with limited sleep the previous nights, I was not in any position to deny my kid, or myself, chocolate.  If we both disappoint the dentist at our next visit, so be it.  Call me a bad mom but if the situation was repeated, I would still wake up with Hershey wrappers surrounding me.

No comments:

Post a Comment